Schedule Changes for Outdoor Activities 10/21
*** Schedule Changes for Outdoor Activities ***
After further deliberation and consultation with the Kalamazoo County Health Officer, all nine superintendents in the KRESA (Kalamazoo Regional Education Service Agency) have agreed to make schedule changes for outdoor activities, to the extent possible, to reduce exposure to EEE (Eastern Equine Encephalitis). Each school district will announce the specific time and/or date changes once the arrangements have been made.
This adjustment of times will continue until there is further guidance from the County Health Officer that the risk of mosquito bites has been greatly reduced or eliminated. Although sports and outdoor activities are an important part of a child’s education, nothing is more important than their health and safety.
We will maintain current outdoor activity schedules during the day. The factors contributing to this decision include the following:
- Elementary recess takes place during the day when the risk is lowest. This includes before school. During recess before school, the students always play on the cement & playground equipment, never leaving the mulch area. This avoids being close to the river & the woods.
- Most athletic/band practices start directly after school and end before dusk. We will be ending all outdoor activities/practices by 7 PM until further notice to further prevent exposure times.
Current Schedule Changes:
~ PS BEFORE SCHOOL RECESS: The Primary school will be sending our students inside when they get dropped off in the morning (our normal activity is to go outside from 7:30-7:45 or proceed to the cafeteria for breakfast). This will continue until the Health department advisory has been lifted. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we continue to monitor our outdoor activities.
~ Friday, 10/25 HS Var. Football @ Gobles 5PM *TIME CHANGE*
Below you will find a few items that you can assist in taking precautions at home:
- Apply insect repellent prior to spending time outdoors. If you choose to apply insect repellent to your elementary student, please do so prior to the start of the school day.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and pants when possible.
- Be aware of the signs of EEE and contact your doctor immediately, should your student experience any symptoms.
- Maintaining window and door screens;
- Using nets or fans over outdoor eating areas
We will continue to watch the developments surrounding EEE closely, and will take the appropriate steps necessary to protect the health of all of our students and staff.
All schedule changes will be updated on our Facebook page & district website.