Mission Statement & Philosophy
The elementary physical education curriculum at the Primary and Intermediate schools will focus on the concept of unity of mind and body based upon developing a holistic person in grades K-5. The primary focus of the physical education program is to develop and maintain fundamental motor skills, physical fitness, sport skills, cognitive knowledge and personal and social skills.
Development and growth of each student will be facilitated by a comprehensive guided instruction and participation in motor appropriate activities, sport skills, leisure activities, individual activities and physical fitness opportunities. Through the physical education program students will be able to recognize personal capabilities and develop a positive, healthy and realistic self-image. Students will also be encouraged to learn social skills such as how to share, win or lose and act responsibly in-group situations.
Health & Wellness Philosophy:
- Provide a safe and inviting environment for all children
- Curriculum includes the physical, psychomotor, cognitive and health domains
- Lessons are developmentally appropriate
What is Health & Wellness? Why is it important?
What is Health & Wellness?
- Health and Wellness is a program taught by a trained educator that provides students with opportunities to develop and maintain the skills necessary to live a healthy lifestyle.
- A common misperception is that Health and Wellness (PE) and gym class are synonyms. Gym class entails no skill learning, little instruction, and a competitive atmosphere where only athletes succeed.
Why Health & Wellness?
- Promotes changes in brain structure and function.
- Reduces the risk of developing heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure
- Promotes lifelong physical fitness
- Helps maintain healthy bones, muscle, and joints
- Helps maintain and/or improve health by increasing cardiovascular endurance, muscular strength, endurance, flexibility, and body composition.
- KIDS FEEL GREAT AND HAVE FUN!!!
Kindergarten & 1st Grade Program Activites
Kindergarten and Grade One:
- Locomotor skills: walk, skip, jump, run, slide, gallop, etc.
- Non-locomotor skills: push-pull, over-under, twist-turn, overhand-underhand, etc.
- Manipulative skills: catch, throw, toss, bounce, dribble, jump rope, kick, tumbling, balance, striking, hula hoops, parachute, cup stacking, wall climbing
- Levels: low, medium, high
- Pathways: straight, zig-zag, curved, diagonal,forward, backward
- Physical fitness
- Rhythmic Activities
- Bicycle Safety
- Healthy Eating
- Tag Games
2nd - 4th Program Activities
Second and Third Grades:
- Reinforcement of Basic Motor Skills
- Locomotor activities
- Non-Locomotor activities
- Manipulative skills
- Increase Physical Fitness
- Development of Rhythmic Activities
- Introduction for Fundamental Motor Skills to be used across a lifetime
Fourth and Fifth Grade:
- Benefits of exercise across a lifetime
- Weight Control
- Aerobic and Anaerobic exercise
- Total Body Fitness (Presidential Physical Fitness Testing)
- Introduction to Sport Skills