G-A Athletes, Parents, and Community;
I am excited for the return of school athletics and being able to provide opportunities for our student-athletes to compete. However, these events will look much different this year due to the Covid-19 pandemic. I know people have many different opinions about Covid-19 and the way society as a whole is dealing with the issue. With that being said, please keep in mind that Galesburg-Augusta Schools, the Southwestern Athletic Conference(S.A.C.), and the Michigan High School Athletic Association(M.H.S.A.A.) are all doing our part to follow and enforce the laws and guidelines for keeping everyone safe and on the courts, fields, and cross country courses. The last thing we want is for these events, although not ideal or what we have grown accustomed to, taken away due to an outbreak or all of us not doing our part to follow the guidelines. So, I am asking all of you to please do your part for the sake of our student-athletes. Below is an outline of the new procedures that have been developed using information from the most recent Executive Order (176) and updates from the M.H.S.A.A. and the S.A.C.
- A mask/face covering must be worn by student-athletes at all times, even during competition. The exception will be with Cross Country. In CC, masks must still be worn during stretching/warm ups, etc. and also at the start line. However, the mask may be removed once the race begins.
- Coaches, Spectators, and game workers must also wear a mask/face covering at all times. This also includes outdoor events. Spectators arriving without a mask WILL be denied entry.
- Athletes should “socially distance” anytime it is possible. For example, during stretching/warm ups, water breaks, during time-outs. Etc.
- Spectators MUST “socially distance” a minimum of 6 feet while in the bleachers, bathroom area, or school facilities.
- We will continue to screen all our student-athletes on a daily basis. This includes prior to leaving for away events and prior to participating in home events. The screening process will continue to include health questions and a temperature check.
- All spectators will be expected to “self-diagnose” and NOT enter any event if they display any signs/symptoms of Covid-19.
- All student-athletes and spectators will be expected to notify Galesburg-Augusta Schools in the event of a positive Covid-19 test.
Concessions will not be offered at this time due to the restrictions on food preparation and distribution. Student-athletes will need to continue to bring their own water bottle.
- Bathrooms will be open at events. However, everyone is expected to practice social distancing. There should be no more than two people in the bathroom at one time.
- Locker Rooms will only be available on a limited basis for student-athletes.
- Student-athletes should arrive at the event already dressed for competition.
ATTENDING ATHLETIC EVENTS:
- Each student-athlete will be allowed TWO guests per event/game.
- The student-athlete will be issued TWO special tickets for each event.
- The special tickets may only be used for the specific event that is listed on the ticket.
- The ticket must be presented at the event/gate to show you are an invited guest.
- You will NOT be allowed into the event without the special ticket.
- You WILL still need to pay the $5 admission fee at the gate.
- Many schools in our league will NOT be distributing change, so please plan on having the exact amount of money needed to enter.
- Passes WILL still be honored. For example, you may still use a senior citizen pass or league pass for free admission. However, you MUST have the special ticket along with you pass.
- There will be NO re-entry. You will not be allowed back into an event if you leave.
- We understand this limit may be difficult for large families and also our students and community members who would like to attend. Please understand that this is not a school policy. It is required under the Executive Order.
- Cross Country will not require tickets to attend. However, the two guest requirement is still expected.
- You will not be allowed near the start line or finish line during Cross Country events.
- Unfortunately, we will need to suspend our past practice of allowing parents (who are on the approved driver’s list) to drive other student-athletes home from events.
- Student-athletes will need to have a parent/guardian at each away event to transport them home after the event.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. My email address is Michael.firstname.lastname@example.org and my phone number is (269) 484-2016. Thank you in advance for your understanding and support of our athletic programs.